Counselling and Support Services Information Sheet

There are many government and non-government agencies in Australia that provide free counselling, relationship support, crisis support, mental health, domestic violence, and suicide prevention services.

International students can access these services through phone, email, webchat, online forums, and other information sources. Also, while getting these services, you can choose to be anonymous.

Here are some of the support services you can obtain:

• Lifeline: It offers 24/7 suicide prevention and crisis support services. To access these services, you can call 13 11 14. You can visit the Lifeline website to get more information.

• International Student Hotline: If international students are facing issues related to safety, study, work, or accommodation, they can call 1300 363 079. This student helpline in Australia is operated by the federal Department of education. When calling this number, you don’t have to reveal your identity.

• Beyond Blue: It provides 24-hour support for mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, and suicide. You can access this service through email, webchat, or by filling an online forum at BeyondBlue website. You can also call 1300 22 4636.

• Kids Helpline: This helpline is specially designed for students ( between 5 and 25 years of age) who have personal relationship issues and want to share their feelings about studies. To get the support, you can call 1800 551 800 or visit the Kids Helpline website.

• Sexual Assault Counselling Service: This service is designed for all those who have experienced sexual assault. It is a free, 24 hour and 7 days a week telephone service. You can call one of the state-based sexual assault counselling services to get support. Also, you can choose to stay anonymous.

Many of these services are also connected with government health departments and hospitals to provide help if the assault has left with you injuries. To get further information, you can search online for a ‘rape crisis centre’ in your state.

• Poison Information Centre: This support centre gives guidance on the use, management, and treatment of poisonous products, including industrial chemicals, non-prescription pharmaceuticals, industrial chemicals, household chemicals, and animal and plant venom. You can call 131 126 to get immediate support.

Note: In an emergency like a fire, car crash other life-threatening situations you can dial and call Triple Zero (000).